Teenage girls and h...

Notifications
Clear all

Teenage girls and high susceptibility to new social ideologies

Admin
Topic starter
(@adaakpala)

According to the Guardian, more and more teenage girls are seeking referrals to gender clinics. Why do you believe that girls are more susceptible to these new social ideologies? Especially those dealing with the self and identity. 

Topic Tags
5 Replies
 M
(@M)

Reversal of traditional roles have left many women feeling more insecure and disillusioned, than liberated and free.

CC
(@CC)

It’s likely a combination of things. Firstly, more ‘genuine’ (for want of a better word) trans people realising what they can do to be happier in themselves earlier, thanks to the issue being better known and more accepted. Secondly, a touch of faddisness, with all the media attention getting youngsters swept up in something that isn’t necessarily right for them. The pressure to make a decision before puberty kicks in must be hard.
I don’t envy the children or the parents having to try to make the right decision. Personally I think I’d welcome children being fluid with their gender identity but try to put them off medical intervention. I ultimately think we should all try to be happy with the body we are born with, but evidence suggests that doesn’t seem to the answer for everyone.

H
(@H)

Young girls being confused with feelings of perhaps idolising males or a male role model in their life and confusing that with wanting to be a male.

Maybe if society pushed the narrative of accepting who you are without needing to change a thing(with large costly irreversible surgical interventions that doesn’t alway leave the person mentally improving) we wouldn’t have such mentally distorted younger generations that are requiring more and more medication for mental health issues

It’s ok to be a more masculine female – I have been my whole life it never meant I wanted to change or questioned my gender or my sexuality.

(@Anonymous)

There are so many reasons for this, I could probably ramble on for days. I think the main ones are social contagion, clusters of girls became anorexic or self-harmed historically, this is just a new version of that, fuelled by social media.
Also, what the mainstream media portrays as the ideal woman as something so sexualised, so many young woman do not recognise any of that in themselves, or are embarrassed to be associated with that – they make the incorrect assumption that there must be something wrong with them, and they need to identify out. Rather than being taught in schools to embrace their uniqueness, and be told that womanhood comes in many forms – and that they don’t have to identify out of being a woman to be themselves.

Page 1 / 2

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved