White Lives Matter ...

Notifications
Clear all

White Lives Matter – A Necessary Statement?

Admin
Topic starter
(@adaakpala)

Kanye West debuted Season 9 of his Yeezy fashion label in Paris this evening, wearing a long-sleeved shirt with the slogan “White Lives Matter” on the back. Candace Owens was also pictured at the show and seen wearing a version of the shirt while standing with Kanye.

The question then becomes whether this statement was made for “clout” and marketing purposes, or whether it is a necessary statement and pushback against the divisive rhetoric that has been “rammed down our throats” in recent years.

Or is the statement itself divisive?

6 Replies
 CJC
(@CJC)

I think it is performative – sadly I think Kanye is quite ill and think he has a great insight, but it doesn’t hold up to scrutiny.
I’ve always taken ‘Black Lives Matter’ to be a sharp reminder, in a country (the USA) where racist violence does appear to be pervasive, that black lives matter as much as those of white people.
The phrases ‘all lives matter’ and ‘white lives matter’, although true, seem to be adopted primarily to mock the use of the phrase ‘black lives matter’. They aren’t unconscionable or racist statements, but nor are they very necessary or helpful either, in my view.

Andy
(@Andy)

I don’t think it’s necessary but I get where they’re coming from. Black Lives Matter has become the laughing stock of the world so to hit them back with irony it’s very acceptable.
BLM must be fuming, i can just imagine the whole of the woke community, I’m sure they couldn’t get any sleep the night they saw that picture of Candice Owen wearing White Lives Matter.

(@Brett)

Kanye posted on his Instagram that he thinks BLM organisation is a scam and this was his statement against them. I do think he was being satirical. Taking the piss out of extremist woke militant people who attempt to patrol and control social media.

Anon
(@Anon)

The last few years the media has consistently promoted black lives matter without ever stating that the lives of yellow or white people matter. The slogan black lives matter is interpreted as meaning racial equality and white lives matter as white supremacy. Candace and Kanye are highlighting the double standards of this by wearing these t shirts. Why shouldn’t Candace believe the lives of white people matter? Her husband is white.

Page 1 / 2

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved